Florida First Responder Disability Application
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The following FLORIDA FIRST RESPONDERS with homestead exemptions as of January 1:
- Law Enforcement or Correctional Officers (Ref. 943.10, FS)
- Firefighters (Ref. 633.102, FS)
- Full time, part time, or unpaid volunteer Paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians (Ref.401.23, FS)
FLORIDA FIRST RESPONDERS are defined as persons serving as first responders in Florida or during an operation in another state or country authorized by Florida or its counties.
TOTAL AND PERMANENT DISABILITY is defined as an impairment of the mind or body that renders a first responder unable to engage in any substantial gainful occupation and that is reasonably certain to continue throughout life.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Complete and file the First Responder Disability APPLICATION (DR-501)
- Submit the completed FIRST RESPONDER’S EMPLOYER CERTIFICATION OF INJURY
- Submit the following:
- For Quadriplegic, Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, Legally Blind, or those confined to a wheelchair for mobility purposes: Two PHYSICIAN CERTIFICATIONS OF TOTAL AND PERMANENT DISABILITY (DR-416)OR
- For all other total and permanent disabilities: One FIRST RESPONDER’S PHYSICIAN CERTIFICATE OF TOTAL AND PERMANENT DISABILITY AND a SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION AWARD LETTER (WITHIN THREE MONTHS OF ISSUANCE)*.
* Please note that if you are unable to provide a Social Security Administration Award Letter, then you must obtain documentation from the Social Security Administration stating that you are ineligible to receive a medical status determination and also provide two First Responder Physician Certificates of Total and Permanent Disability.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION DEADLINE? For 2017, the deadline to apply is August 1, 2017. Applicants are encouraged to apply for the First Responder Exemption before they receive the required certificates, reports, and/or other documents.
Please contact us at 407-742-5000 or email email@example.com for information. You may also visit our office at 2505 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34744.