Important Notice About Homestead Exemption
First time Homestead Exemption is NOT automatic. If you have purchased a home and made it your permanent residence prior to January 1, 2012 you may be eligible for Homestead Exemption.
To QUALIFY you must:
- Be residing on the property
- Hold the title to the property
- Be a permanent and legal resident of Florida
To file for Homestead Exemption, you may apply in person, visit our website to obtain an application or file online at www.property-appraiser.org. Requirements for qualifying are listed below.
- The DEED to your property
- Osceola County Voter Registration or Affidavit of Residency
- Florida Driver’s License (relinquishing out-of-state license). FLORIDA ID CARDS ACCEPTED FOR NON-DRIVERS ONLY
- Florida automobile registration
- If not a U.S. citizen, a resident alien “green” card.
- If filing for WIDOW’S or WIDOWER’S Exemption, please bring Death Certificate
If you reside in a MOBILE HOME and own the land upon which it is situated, you need to also bring the current Title or Registration in order to declare your mobile home as Real Property.
If You Currently Have Homestead Exemption
Valid exemptions will be renewed automatically and receipts will be mailed in January. EXEMPTIONS DO NOT FOLLOW YOU TO YOUR NEW RESIDENCE! You must REAPPLY.
Renewals for 100% EXEMPTIONS must still be filed yearly by signature and returned by March 1, 2012.
Please contact the Property Appraiser’s Office for further details.
ABSOLUTE DEADLINE FOR FILING IS MARCH 1, 2012